Monday, February 21, 2011

Model Agent / Sean Sweeney

Genre: Thriller

Approximate word count: 90-95,000

Availability Kindle: YES         Nook: YES          DTB: YES

Author:

Sean Sweeney lives in a small city west and north of Boston. He splits his working time between sports writing for the local newspaper and working on his novels. In his spare time Sweeney follows sports (the Red Sox and football played with a round ball are his favorites) reads, and naps.

Description:

A terrorist act during a free concert at Boston’s City Hall Plaza leaves many people dead and sets authorities scrambling. Enter Jaclyn Johnson, a specially trained government agent with a troubled past and tools to get the job done.

Appraisal:

The tongue-in-cheek cover tagline says, “If Bond had boobs.” In four words this gives the high-level view of Jaclyn Johnson. She’s got Bond’s good looks, enough to model as a cover, hiding her true career. She has the technology of Bond with a plethora of gadgets, a few she invented herself and some that (over) compensate for a rare eye condition that leaves her almost blind without an assist. Topping it off is a car that anyone would envy plus the brains behind the beauty to get the job done. In Jaclyn Johnson, Sweeney has a great new character I hope to see in many sequels.

Without giving away too much of the plot I’ll say that it is also fitting of a Bond tale with an amoral megalomaniac pulling the strings in an evil and far reaching plot. The majority of the book takes place in the Greater Boston area. When a book is happening in a real location those who have some familiarity with the area can often picture the location in their mind’s eye and this adds to the story. Although I’ve only visited once, I was still able to picture many of the landmarks of Boston as I was reading. This and other specific location color about the city and its history helped “put me there.”

The last notable quality I found in Model Agent is something I wouldn’t have expected in this genre, especially from a male author. Not only does it have a strong female as the lead character, but also two of the main secondary characters, the President of the US and the director of the CIA, are strong women in powerful positions. As a father and grandfather, this is something I like. Positive female role models, even fictional, are something I like to know are out there for my daughter and granddaughters to see.

Format/Typo Issues:

As a beta reader, I read a pre-release copy and am unable to evaluate. However, I notified the author of all typos I found and believe they were corrected prior to release.

Rating: ***** Five stars

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Sounds excellent. Going on my reading list right now.

Unknown said...

It sounds great!

Donna Fasano said...

Excellent review.